Does Sleeping Help Hair Grow?

Adequate amounts of sleep can help guard against stress.

Photo: Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images

Beauty myths are about as common as flies at outdoor barbecues. Many of them relate to the speed of hair growth. The one that says sleeping makes your hair grow has a shred of truth to it, but just a shred. Because while heredity plays a major role in how fast hair grows, healthy habits can contribute to the growth of your lovely locks. Encourage optimal hair growth by getting adequate rest, eating right and pampering your precious tresses.

Hair Health Cycle

Hair normally grows about ½ inch per month. While 90 percent of your hair is actively growing, the other 10 percent is in a resting stage. After resting for two or three months, the individual hair strands fall from your scalp.

Sleep

Sleep is important to your overall health. In addition to creating those notorious bags below your eyes, lack of sleep can alter your immune function and make you moody. According to Harvard Health Publications, serious sleep disorders may contribute to increased levels of stress hormones. While getting more than seven to nine hours of sleep may not speed up hair growth, stress due to insomnia can be the culprit behind hair loss and poor hair growth.

Stress

High stress levels can cause white blood cells to attack your hair follicles, resulting in poor hair growth and hair loss. Hair problems that may occur due to high levels of stress include trichotillomania, telogen effluvium and alopecia areata. As a larger number of hairs enter the resting phase, the growth of your hair may seem to slow or stop. Eventually the resting hair strands fall from your scalp, allowing new strands to take their places.

Considerations

Getting enough shut-eye is important to helping you feel well-rested and capable of dealing with life's stresses. While lazing in bed is no remedy for slow hair growth, getting adequate rest can help you look and feel your best. A daily routine that includes time for rest and relaxation can prove beneficial to the growth of your hair. In addition to shooting for seven to nine hours of sleep every night, help your hair grow its fastest by consuming a healthy diet. Avoid harsh practices that can damage your tender tresses, such as chemical treatments and tight hairstyles.

Related Videos

 

Add to this Article

 

advertisement

Just for you

What type are you?

Choose your Hair Concerns
or Register
typeF's Survival Guide

advertisement

How would you like to register?

Register with Facebook
  • It's fast, easy and hassle-free
  • One-click log-in and commenting
Register with typeF.com
  • Use your email to create your account
Register